You may be a fan of “Alvin and the Chipmunks” or “Chip and Dale” and think they are cute fluff balls and harmless squirrels. But in reality, they are quiet and very unpleasant bad for your garden since they breed like crazy. They can destroy your vegetable garden all in one night and may spell the end of the foundation of your home.
The only sure way to get rid of them is to kill them. If you think that’s a little extreme, just think of sharing the lawn with about 1,500 squirrels digging. Some of these methods are quiet and are not lethal for the faint of heart.
Here are some of the popular methods.
– The first method we will discuss is the bucket trap. Here, fill a 5 gallon of bucket with two thirds of water and sprinkle sunflower seeds on the surface of the water until they are covered. You should put a board on the side of the bowl. You can also add a tablespoon of peanut butter on the board to make it more attractive. The squirrels will be caught once it goes too far in the table and will drown.
– You can try to capture them alive and try to relocate. This is a more expensive proposition as you have to buy a Havahart live trap and this can cost you around thirty dollars for it. You also need to have about five miles away to avoid returning. The problem is that relocation could mean a slow death of creatures that do not have stored food and you have to take care of them in a completely new area. And if you have moved the mother, the babies will be left behind and will die.
– Squirrels are afraid of coyotes and coyote urine that has proven effective in repelling squirrels.
– Poisons are not as effective as they are in other rodents. Squirrels often store food for the winter so the poison will not be effective.
– A cat or dog can make a solitary squirrel think twice before shacking in your backyard, but a colony of squirrels, this may not be a strong enough deterrent.